THE CONFEDERATED TRIBES
OF THE GRAND RONDE COMMUNITY
Resolution No. 041-93
WHEREAS, the Grand Ronde Tribal Council, pursuant to Article III, Section I of the Tribal Constitution approved November 30, 1984 by the Acting Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Interior, Indian Affairs, is empowered to exercise all legislative and executive authority not specifically vested in the General Council of the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community of Oregon; and,
WHEREAS, the Tribal Council has recognized that an Ad Hoc Elders Committee has been in operation for approximately two years; and,
WHEREAS, the Tribal Council wishes to make clear the duties and responsibilities of the Elders Committee; and,
WHEREAS, the Elders Committee is the only Committee operating without an Ordinance, Tribal Council feels that it is necessary to adopt an Ordinance establishing this committee, and;
WHEREAS, the cooperative functioning of Tribal Government requires clearly stated policies and the use of generally accepted accounting principles.
WHEREAS, the Tribal Council wishes to assure the greatest possible participation in selection of the Elders' Committee.
NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, that the Grand Ronde Tribal Council hereby adopts the Grand Ronde Elders Committee Ordinance, and sets the Elders Committee election for the October General Council meeting.
CERTIFICATION: The Tribal Council for the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community of Oregon adopted this resolution at a regularly scheduled meeting, with a quorum present as required by the Grand Ronde Constitution held on July 14, 1993, by a vote of 8 yes, 0 no, and 0 abstentions.
Mark Mercier, Tribal Chairman
Candy Robertson, Tribal Secretary
9615 GRAND RONDE RD
GRAND RONDE, OREGON 97347
DATE ORIGINALLY ADOPTED: July 14, 1993
SUBJECT: Elders Committee
RESOLUTION NUMBER: 041-93
THE CONFEDERATED TRIBES OF THE
GRAND RONDE COMMUNITY OF OREGON
ELDERS COMMITTEE ORDINANCE
TRIBAL CODE §
(a) Purpose and Authority
(c) Committee Established; Membership
(d) Initial Election of Committee Members
(e) Duties and Powers of the Committee
(f) Elders Activities
(g) Use of Collected Funds
Confederated Tribes of the
Grand Ronde Community of Oregon
Elders Committee Ordinance
(a) PURPOSE AND AUTHORITY: The purpose of this Ordinance is the establishment of a standing committee to consider and recommend to the Tribal Council, policies relating to activities for and recognition of elders, use and maintenance of the Elders' Mealsite, and the administration of Tribal funds for elders.
(b) DEFINITIONS: The following definitions shall apply:
- (1) "Committee" shall mean the Elders' Committee of the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community of Oregon.
- (2) "Elder" shall mean any Grand Ronde Tribal member aged 55 years or older.
- (3) "Tribal Council" shall mean the Tribal Council of the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community of Oregon.
- (4) "Tribe" shall mean the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community of Oregon.
(c) COMMITTEE ESTABLISHED; MEMBERSHIP:
- (1) The Elders' Committee is hereby established. The Committee shall have seven (7) members, at least one of whom is a Tribal Council member. Only elders may serve on the Committee. An elder who serves on another committee may still serve on the Elders Committee.
- (2) All initial committee member terms of office shall be two (2) years beginning October 3, 1993.
(d) Initial Election of Members:
- (1) At the next General Council meeting following adoption of this Ordinance, the elders present shall nominate six of the initial committee members.
- (2) The Tribal Council shall provide 30 days notice of these nominations, its location, time and place.
- (3) Nominations and Voting:
- (A) Nominations shall be taken from the elders present at the September General Council meeting. The elder nominated shall have the opportunity to accept or decline at that time. After 10 nominations have been made and accepted, any elder may move to close the nominations. Nominations will be closed upon a simple majority vote of the elders present.
- (B) The election will take place at the October General Council Meeting.
- (C) Ballots will be issued to elders who have a verified signature and are Grand Ronde Tribal Members.
- (D) The votes will be tallied by the Election Committee by members who are not running for the Elders Committee. The Election Committee shall post the results at the conclusion of the meeting.
- (E) Committee members shall elect a Chairperson, Vice- Chair and Secretary from the membership of the Committee at their first regularly scheduled Committee meeting.
- (F) Appointments to the Committee after the initial election shall be according to the General Committee Ordinance.
(e) DUTIES AND POWERS OF THE COMMITTEE: The Committee shall:
- (1) Consider and present to the Tribal Council, proposed rules and policies for the use and maintenance of the Elders' Activities Site, the Community Center, and the Elders' Van.
- (2) Consider and present to the Tribal Council, proposed policies for the use of funds budgeted for elders' activities.
- (3) Work with the Human Services Division Director and staff to develop funding for elders' services and activities.
- (4) Coordinate Elders' activities with the Seniors Coordinator.
- (5) Designate a primary contact person for communication with local senior service agencies.
- (6) Consider public suggestions and present a proposed name for the Elders' Activities Site to the Tribal Council.
- (7) Be governed by the Tribe's General Committee Ordinance, except as otherwise stated in this Ordinance.
- (8) Submit to the Tribal Council a proposed annual budget for the costs of elders' activities, maintenance of the Activities Site, and the purchase and maintenance of necessary equipment and utensils for the Mealsite.
(f) ELDERS' ACTIVITIES:
- (1) The Elders' Committee is hereby authorized to authorize travel expenses of elders within the Committee's budget.
- (2) Elders' activities shall include cultural events such as Pow Wows, and educational outings such as to museums and other historical sites.
- (3) The Elders' Committee may authorize use of the Elders' Activity Fund for cultural preservation activities such as oral histories of elders and native language classes.
(g) USE OF COLLECTED FUNDS: All funds collected for meals and other items paid for by program or government funds, shall be deposited, at least semi-monthly into Tribal accounts for elders programs.
I certify this to be a true copy of the Elders Committee Ordinance of the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community of Oregon.
Tribal Council Secretary